Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ann Richard's Talk on E-Book Publishing

Ann Richards gave a presentation on e-book publishing last night, September 18th, at our LWS general meeting.

Of interest to me is the new - to me - software being used to publish e-books. I'm used to pdf's which, of course, page from top to bottom, not right to left.

Last night Ann awoke me from my pdf "Stone Age" by showing us one of her e-books books which is read right to left in MS Reader.

When I got home I downloaded the free plug-in for Word that now allows me to view a document in the Reader format. As to creating my own e-book in MS Reader, this works the same as Adobe's Reader. While the reader is free, the software to create a commercial e-book, ReaderWorks Publisher - is not (just as Adobe Acrobat is not free. )

I found the software here:

http://www.overdrive.com/readerworks/

Educators who want to create e-books for classroom presentations can download the Standard version for free.

Since I want to sell my e-books on my own website, I will need the Publisher's version which is $119 U.S. Compare that to the new Adobe Acrobat 9.0 which costs $299 U.S. (The Pro Version is $699.) All I can say is that I'm glad I bought my old version of Adobe Acrobat seven years ago. It may not be as fancy, but it's still quite functional.

No comments: